Belinda Wang was qualified for her line of work and business was going well - but she felt she needed something more.

Belinda owns Sean Recruitment, which offers recruitment services both in New Zealand and abroad.

She also provides immigration advice to help skilled migrants get work here.

Her Auckland-based business was progressing reasonably well and Belinda could have rested on her laurels but she believed something was missing.

“I had a marketing degree but I felt I needed to have a more thorough concept of how to manage a small business,” she said.

Belinda found it with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa after she enrolled in a free certificate of small business management programme.

The 36-week course introduces students to business planning processes in New Zealand, business law, marketing, management and accounting.

The following year Belinda studied towards a certificate in management, also through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

Belinda says the qualifications she gained through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa have helped to expand her business.

“The courses were very interesting and very helpful for my business – especially the marketing management module and financial and people management,” said Belinda.

“All of these modules were very practical and I have applied this theoretical knowledge in the running of my business.”

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa prides itself on providing a unique learning environment that delivers holistic education opportunities of the highest quality.

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa believes that education is the key in assisting whānau to achieve positive transformation in their lives.

It’s something that Belinda can attest to.

“What I learned on the programme was very practical and very useful for my business,” she said.

“I have recommended Te Wānanga o Aotearoa to  my friends some of whom want to open their own cafes, shops or restaurants.  I have told them the information on the programme that I did was very helpful and practical and I believe could help them with their business plan.”

Today, Te Wānanga o Aotearoa delivers programmes and courses to over 32,000 students at 120 sites in 50 towns and cities throughout the country. 

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was established in 1985 and more than 300,000 students have graduated from its courses and programmes since.

To enrol in our semester B free Small Business Management course click here to talk to us about the course give us a call on 0800 355 553

Published On: 09 July 2015

Article By: James Ihaka

• 24 April 2024

Tāne creates legacy for his whānau by learning te reo Māori

From someone with no te reo Māori knowledge to now being able to speak te reo Māori all day, every day if he chose, Ruebin Reti has evolved into a beacon of inspiration.

• 18 April 2024

Raranga guides new mum back into te ao Māori

Joy Gilgen had always thought that raranga was a practice reserved for older generations, but after having her first pēpē in 2022, she had the urge to do something holistic and reground herself in te ao Māori.

• 28 March 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa honour two founders with new scholarships in 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa relaunched their scholarships in 2023, and in 2024 are proud to announce the introduction of three new scholarships, two of which honour a couple of the institute’s founding members.

• 28 March 2024

Former All Black strengthens passion for toi through wānanga programme

Former All Black, Kees Meeuws has always had a passion for toi, so much so, that in his earlier years he studied at Elam School of Fine Arts, completing a foundation year and first year sculpture.